5 Must-Have Pieces of Apparel for Fall Golf
Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:13:33 AM America/North_Dakota/Center
As a golf company based in the upper Midwest, we’ve played more than our fair share of cool-weather golf. Every year, come September, the temperatures start dropping and we just want to hang onto as much of the season as we can. The good news is that the quality of cold-weather gear has improved dramatically and a dedicated golfer can easily play comfortably when it’s 50 degrees or when it’s 85 and sunny. Here’s our short list for the apparel you need to survive fall golf:
1. A great layering piece. During a round of golf in the fall the temperatures can change dramatically not just from beginning to end, but from hole to hole and from sun to shade. This means that every fall golfer needs at least one great piece that they can easily remove or add to make golf more comfortable.
You’ll want to look for something that is relatively lightweight and easily packable. Something that covers your arms and neck is ideal as you can usually adjust the piece by unzipping or pushing up the sleeves to make yourself more comfortable throughout the round. Breathable, tech fabrics are also desirable and most golf brands are offering a variety of layering pieces giving you a slew of options to choose from.
2. Cold weather gloves and/or cart mitts. Because your hands are the only connection between your body and the golf club, it’s vital to keep them warm when playing fall golf. Even though most golfers generally only wear a glove on their sub-dominant hand, you’ll want to score yourself a pair of gloves that will keep both hands warm throughout your round. FootJoy’s WinterSof or RainGrip gloves are great choices that will give you the grip you need without sacrificing too much feel.
You may also want to invest in a pair of cart mitts, which are like oversize mittens that can easily be slipped on and off. For those times between holes or shots where you have to wait more than you’d like, cart mitts are the best way to keep your hands warm and dry.
3. A warm, wind-resistant jacket. If you’re set on continuing your golf season into the fall, a great jacket is an absolute necessity. Heavy-duty golf jackets aren’t just designed to be stylish, they are designed to keep the elements out while keeping you comfortable. Look for a jacket that is guaranteed to be wind-resistant or windproof – you won’t regret it when those cool fall winds pick up!
Golf jackets are also designed to allow the golfer to move freely while swinging, but you’ll want to make sure that you have enough room to maneuver your shoulders through your golf swing. Before taking the plunge, consider what type of apparel you’ll be wearing underneath the jacket. Just a polo or a polo and a layering piece? The number of pieces you wear under your jacket will impact the fit, so make sure get the right size.
4. A warm cap or ear muffs. Have you ever seen football players after they come off the field during a November game? Have you seen the steam coming off their heads? When you’re golfing in cooler weather, you need to find ways to keep all key parts of your body warm and comfortable and that most definitely includes your head. Get yourself a cap or at the very least, some ear warmers that will keep your head nice and toasty so that you can focus on making birdies.
5. A rain suit to keep you dry. While you can hope for sunny skies, fall golf can be unpredictable and the last thing that you want is to be stuck on hole 12 when the rain starts to fall. The good news is that there are some awesome rain suits out on the market that are guaranteed to keep you dry and comfortable whether you choose to pack it in and head back to the clubhouse or push on through the rain.
Golf rain gear is designed to be taken off and on while on the course, so you’ll want to make sure that it fits comfortably over your clothes. Look for a rain suit with a waterproof guarantee and ideally, a waterproof warranty. Most major manufacturers use top-of-the line materials in the design of their rain gear. Just make sure you pick up your rain suit from an authorized retailer like Austad’s. We back all of the products that we carry with a quality and performance guarantee and work directly with vendors to ensure that you get the best quality product.
To wrap it up, with the right equipment and apparel, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be able to enjoy some great golf this fall. With the changing leaves, it’s honestly one of the most beautiful times of the year to play. Don’t forget – Austad’s has everything you need to have fun on the course all year round!
Want to stay up to date with all the latest stories, trends and gossip from the world of golf? Make sure you sign up for our Austad's Golf Insider Newsletter!