Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Irons: 3 Things We LOVE
Oooh baby, are you ready to hear about the hottest new club on the market? Honestly, we’re not sure you can handle it because this new club is so incredibly hot that we heard it just set the new land record for speed. The new Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Irons are here and we’re happy to say that like a contestant on a reality dating show, it’s been love at first sight for the crew at Austad’s.
These new irons from Mizuno are legitimately some of the best we’ve seen in years. Fast, forgiving and LOOOOOOONG, the JPX923 Hot Metal line is something that anyone looking for clubs should swing. Here’s the skinny on what makes these new irons so great:
1. Irons So Fast They Are Almost Illegal
I’m not sure who gets the privilege of naming products for Mizuno, but they really nailed the Hot Metal name here. In golf, faster = farther and the ultimate goal for club designers is to find that sweet spot between distance, feel and control. We don’t want to bore you to death like you’re back in 9th grade chemistry class, but there is some really cool technology in the new JPX923 Hot Metals that is definitely worth mentioning:
- New Material – Mizuno is utilizing something called Nickel Chromaly in their new iron design and while we’re not sure where they dug it up, we do know that this material has allowed them to craft a larger club face that is 8% thinner and 35% stronger than previous models. This ultra-thin face provides so much speed that Mizuno was able to focus on matching that speed with the best control and feel they’ve ever put into an iron
- *Almost Illegal* – The first prototype of the JPX923 Hot Metal iron was legit so fast that it was actually illegal by the USGA standards. We’re still not sure why the USGA insists on capping our fun and distance, but regardless, Mizuno was able to pull the technology back a bit and create an iron that is as long as possible, but won’t put you at risk of getting a speeding ticket.
Here’s a great video of Mizuno’s top golf club engineer, Chris Voshall giving an overview of the JPX923 Hot Metal technology:
2. Three Options Perfect for Every Golfer:
One of the things we LOVE about the new JPX923 line is that it truly offers something for every golfer. You’ll feel like Goldilocks when you go through a Mizuno fitting where you try a variety of options until you find one that is “just right”. What’s great is that the technology in all the iron options is the same, but Mizuno has made some really smart adjustments with the head size, cavity size and weighting to create an iron for every player. Here’s a quick rundown of the three models and which golfer is best suited for each:
Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Iron
The Traditional Hot Metal Iron You Know & Love
A full speed, high stability cavity back iron for straight flight and distance.
- Type: Forgiving speed cavity iron
- Ideal Player: Mid to high handicap
- Head length: 85.4mm
Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro Iron
The Players Iron
Compact, with minimal offset for confident ball-strikers seeking maximum ball speed.
- Type: Players speed cavity iron
- Ideal Player: Low to mid handicap
- Head length: 80.7mm
Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal HL Iron
The Ultra-Forgiving Iron You’ve Been Missing
A higher launching option for players with moderate swing speeds or aggressive shaft lean
- Type: Max forgiveness speed cavity iron
- Ideal Player: Mid to high handicap
- Head length: 86.6 mm
3. Designed to be Customized
Mizuno has always been top of the class when it comes to fitting. They were one of the pioneers in iron fitting technology, so it should be no surprise that the new JPX923 Hot Metal Iron was designed with custom fitting in mind. What’s really cool is that because the new Nickel Chromaly technology is so much thinner, customizing these sweet, sweet irons to your unique swing is a breeze.
Austad’s club fitters use Mizuno’s patented Shaft Optimizer to find the perfect shaft, loft, lie and more. While you can certainly buy a set of Mizuno’s newest irons off the rack, we’re always going to recommend that you stop by your favorite local golf store *wink wink* and go through a fitting with one of our Club Fitting Experts. Mizuno has given Austad’s their top 100 Fitter award for so many years now, we can’t really count so we’ll just brag about our fitting dominance here on our little blog.
Want some more info about the Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal irons? Check out this great interview with Mizuno’s Club Engineer, Chris Voshall: